Saturday, June 4, 2016

Ice Hockey in the Desert

At the end of two years, I'll have little to say about my time in Doha. You will notice by the lack of posts that adventure here was slim. I intended to write about marathons in the Middle East but even that passion was gone. However, there is one thing I will truly miss about my time here, and that is playing ice hockey. Yep, ice hockey...in the desert.  Given this place is more expats than locals, and a good amount of them from Europe (as engineers and pilots), and many from Canada (a college here), a large amount of people familiar with the game could play.  What started as humble beginnings in a mall (and continues in a mall, just a better rink), now is 10 teams across two divisions battling multiple times a week for the illustrious title, given out twice a year, for the Qatar International Ice Hockey League Champions.  There are even tournaments in Dubai and Abu Dhabi for groups to travel.


Qatar Team - Abu Dhabi Fall 2015

Qatar Beer Team - Dubai Spring 2016
It's adult hockey, so no hitting, but it does get pretty physical.  Each game has 1-2 referees with a few of them pretty permanent staples; other times it is just a player coming out to help ref before his game starts. A score keeper runs the clock and keeps stats, but don't expect credit on that second assist. Skill level runs from beginner (in the B/C league) through decent guys that have gotten somewhat older and slowed a bit, right on through former collegiate and junior players in the top division.  This year there were even some former semi-pros and Olympians in the mix.  The A-league makes for some fast hockey. The Qatari National Team plays in A and is coached well and continues to get better and better. Guys are drafted by team captains behind closed doors at a local pub while the rest of the league sits at the bar and watches names come up, round by round (and drinking the same) on a tv. The same bar also hosts a party during the Desert Cup (Doha Tourney) and at the end of the season, a couple of dhow boats are rented - BBQ, swimming, and lots and lots of beverages accompany awards out on the water, ranging from most valuable player to best dressed.

For two years I have been playing in the A league and enjoyed every minute of it.  Drafted very late in my first season as an unknown, I put up some numbers and got noticed, finishing 11th in scoring. We played well the first season but lost in the finals. The next season I was drafted higher and played a more complete role, setting up the puck and helping on the defensive end. I finished 12th in scoring but we won the title after finishing in 3rd out of 4 in the league regular season.
First trophy - Season 2 Spring 2015
Then I was drafted on a dream team. The top line was full of Finnish players, two of them over 6 foot 6. The other guy had played semi-pro. It was disgusting. Remember when the Russians came to the NHL and the passing was so fast you couldn't keep up? That is what these guys made our league look like. They passed 5 times before a goal, and they got one nearly every shift. I played on the 2nd line with only one job to do - shut the other guys down, which was easy to do as we were backed up by strong D-men. We won nearly every game and playing the finals was a formality as we crushed everyone. Our top line finished 1, 2, 3 in scoring. I was a distant 17th in scoring but very content in my defensive and team role.
Dream Team, Second Trophy - Fall 2015
My last season was the best. I went in the top 5. After the draft, there were mumblings that we were going to get killed based on the paper. Our team had a few unknowns and while it had 2 stars, everyone else's team looked deeper.  Our concerns were unfounded. We destroyed it, losing only 3 games (of 28) all season (I missed 2 of those 3 games). Our team passed well, back-checked, got loose pucks, and rebounded. Everyone contributed and it paid off. I played on the first line with another fast, head's up winger and our center, a tall, strong, skilled player. I finished tied for 7th in league scoring while our top two guys went 1-2 (the second guy 9 points clear of third). We won the finals 12-4.  It was hands down one of the most fun, cooperative, unselfish teams I have ever played for (in any sport).  In the end, I played 4 seasons - made the finals in all of them and won the championship in the last 3 of the 4.
Third Trophy, Best Team Ever - Spring 2016
I'll remember this time as my saving grace in Doha. I got to play some amazing hockey in my 30s with guys from all over the world and skated against, and with, Kristian Wallgren and Anze Emersic, two of the best players I have shared the ice with. I have never played as well as I did with my wingman of the final two seasons, Charles Fullerton, and got to play great games, shinny, and tourneys with my buddy Andrew Woodrow, who along with my brother is one of the guys I most enjoy seeing both on and off the ice. Thank you to the organizers of the QIIHL and its members - I will never forget this awesome group of guys and the privileged to play the greatest game in the world in the harshest of landscapes.

Thanks to the fans!

Drink from the Cup! - Rink Rats QIIHL Champions

22 and 11 - Walker (RW) and Fullerton (LW)

Rink Rats - Production Line (Justin, Kristian, Charles)

No comments:

Post a Comment